Entry 1 - The Piano : A Workout for the Brain

    Hi everyone, welcome to my blog! This is my first experience as a blogger, I hope I'll be able to pique your interest. I'll be posting about different subjects because I have a wide range of interests and passions. I also believe that having diverse subjects is a good way to entertain readers and reach out to a wider audience. The first entry I will write about is the piano and how it has a positive impact on your brain.


This is the link to the source I used to write this blog : How Learnig Piano Benefits Your Brain - 9 Positives of Piano - Pianu - The Online Piano That Teaches You How to Play


The Piano is Harder Than You Think

After fiddling around the internet for a while, I stumbled on the official page of an online piano-learning app. It had many articles revolving around music, and the one I chose explained the various advantages that come with playing the piano. Some people don’t realize how hard it is to play. It requires a lot of skills, such as simultaneously reading two separate lines of music, coordinating your hands to play the right notes, and keeping the right rhythm throughout the whole song. To be able to do all of those at the same time is a hard feat and requires a lot of concentration. One could say playing the piano is the definition of multitasking.





General Benefits of Playing the Piano

        As I mentioned above, piano is multitasking. Many pianists use their ability to multitask in their everyday life as well. Because their brains are used to control their bodies to do many actions at once, they’re also able to do so in a normal setting. In addition, the article also says that playing the piano improves one’s creativity. It presents the results of a study showing that people who leaned this instrument can think outside the box when it comes to finding solutions to problems. They use their creativity to solve problems in ways that non-musicians couldn’t even think of.




The Piano Has No Age Restriction

The article also debunks a popular but false belief, which is that people can benefit from learning the piano only when they are young. Learning how to play the piano actually benefits everyone, no matter their age. For example, many adults that learn the piano experience less fatigue, stress and depression than those who don’t. As for older people, they’re able to preserve their memory and connection between their muscles and brain longer than others. The piano, as it turns out, is way more than just an instrument: it’s a powerful way to enhance the brain’s capacities, no matter how old you are. Learning an instrument, may it be the piano or something else, can lead to endless roads of possibilities.




My opinion

I personally believe that piano does benefit your brain. As someone who has played piano for over 10 years, I second the fact that being able to have control over your eyes, hands and ears all at the same time is a difficult task. I didn't think much of it in the past, but as I saw beginner pianists play with their eyes switching between their piano score and hands often, I understood that I underestimated the effort it takes to play that instrument. When you think about it, the piano was considered an activity for the nobles back in the day. Only "educated" people could play it. While I think the social status of a person doesn't matter anymore, I still think that it can strengthen the brain in ways that non-musicians don't have access to. I also think that it's completely logical that the strengths you gained can be used in everyday life. However, I believe there's a minimum of time and practice you need to go through in order to receive benefits. Indeed, one doesn't gain much by simply sitting in front of a piano and playing random notes. You need to receive proper lessons and be able to play using basic technique. Finally, I'm sure that anyone, no matter what their age, gender or degree of affinity with instruments are, can learn how to play an instrument if they put enough time or effort into it.


Question

Now that you've read everything, I have a question for you, which can only be answered if you go check out the link I put at the beginning of my entry :

"In what way learning the piano particularity benefits children?"

Commentaires

  1. Hi my name is Charlotte Marchand and I will be commenting on your blog!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. To answer your question, piano can help children throughout their development, especially motor skills. Then, the type of discourse of your source is both informative and technical because it informs of the good aspects of piano using a pretty technical language. At the end, it’s also a bit promotional because it invites the readers to take their classes. Both your article and the article you linked were very interesting to read. I also enjoy music, I played violin for eleven years and my sister played piano for about eight years. I always knew playing an instrument was beneficial for you, but reading the article made me understand how. Also, I found it surprising how it wasn't just profitable for your brain, but also for your social life, to relieve certain psychological disorders (including anxiety, depression and dementia). Like you, I think it was pertinent for them to add the fact that it's never too late to start playing the piano, because there are benefits at any age. The only thing I don't agree with is that there are only advantages if you learn with classes. From what I understood, listening to music alone can be positive for a lot of things. So even if I do think technique boosts your gains, if you don't have time or money for classes, there are several valuable aspects from just playing from time to time.

      Supprimer
    2. Good comment Charlotte. Careful to add and identify your quote.

      Supprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Is Karate Only about Offense?